Saturday, December 12, 2009

Purchasing Power

Confession: I LOVE giving gifts. My husband recently sat me down to talk, with a very serious look on his face. I wracked my brain for things we might need to have a serious talk about.

When his stoic face cracked he said with a nervous laugh -

"Do you think you are going a little overboard with holiday gift giving?"

He had a point. I start looking, scheming and jotting down ideas on scrap paper in July.

My passionate quest is not about a love for shopping but about the simple joy of making or purchasing something special for people I love.

This holiday season you may find yourself, list in hand, contemplating the questions consumers face when putting their dollars back into the economy:
Where do I go to buy local? Can I afford to buy local? What is in the products that I am purchasing? Were the makers of these products fairly compensated?

Below is a listing of some great places to find locally made gifts or support locally owned businesses. This list represents just a fragment is not nearly representative of incredible number of artisans and thoughtful businesses owners in the region so please comment and share with us where you like to put your dollars.

Artistic Roots - Plymouth
The ARTS Gallery - Lisbon
Patricia Ladd Carega Gallery - Center Sandwich
Campton Candle Company - Thornton
Fiddleheads - Colebrook
WREN - Bethlehem
Birds of a Feather - Lancaster
Old Mill Studio - Whitefield
SaVoir Flare – Berlin
Macomber Glass Studio - Conway
Village Artists & Gallery - Ashland
League of New Hampshire Craftsmen - Locations throughout the state
 
Great reasons to buy local this season:

1)   Keep your dollars in the local economy.
2)   Nurture your community.
3)   Give your friends and family unique gifts.
4)   Support innovation and success in the north country.
5)   Create the opportunity for more local jobs

No comments: